schemas now

Andrew Layman andrewl at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 24 19:40:06 BST 1999

Many of your questions I cannot answer, particularly schedule questions, but
would be better addressed to Dan Connolly of the W3C, who probably knows
what can and cannot be said.

3.	I do know of a tool that someone at Microsoft wrote to convert DTDs
to XMLDR subset.  It requires the Windows MSXML parser, and, of course, only
translates the features that XMLDR can express.  I'll see if I can get it
posted somewhere.

4.	Regarding translation from XMLDR to the eventual W3C schema
notation, I think there is a very good chance that the translation would be
entirely mechanical and easily handled by a simple Perl or Python script.

5.	MSXML and dcxjp are the only shipping implementations I am aware of
of XMLDR.  Additionally, XMLDR is the only shipping schema notation that I
am aware of that uses instance syntax and supports datatypes.
(Additionally, it supports namespaces.)

6.	Are schemas controversial?  Let's see what others say here.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)