attribute lists and namespaces

Richard L. Goerwitz richard at goon.stg.brown.edu
Fri Jun 25 15:05:58 BST 1999

Eric Melski wrote:

> Hello --
>
> I am having trouble understanding the use of namespaces with respect to
> the declaration of attribute lists.

Your misunderstanding is understandable.

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE INVOICE [
> <!ATTLIST foo:DETAILS descr CDATA "bob">
> ]>
>
> <INVOICE xmlns="foo">
>         <DETAILS>
>                 <ITEM>neogalactic hyperdrive</ITEM>
>         </DETAILS>
> </INVOICE>

Note that you declare foo:DETAILS, but actually use DETAILS.  You and I
both know that there's a default namespace in effect when we see DETAILS
in your document.  But the DTD doesn't know this.

There's probably no point in going through the namespace rant again
except to say that they remain a bad idea, among other reasons because
they do not interact with the only official schema mechanism we have
(DTDs) and therefore lead to precisely this sort of confusion.

As I said, your misunderstanding in understandable.

--

Richard Goerwitz
PGP key fingerprint:    C1 3E F4 23 7C 33 51 8D  3B 88 53 57 56 0D 38 A0
For more info (mail, phone, fax no.):  finger richard at goon.stg.brown.edu

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)