XML Editors - Word 2000??

Steven Livingstone, ITS, SENM steven.livingstone at scotent.co.uk
Sun Jun 27 12:01:04 BST 1999

	>Think of Word as an XML editor that only works with a single DTD.
It has
	>been tweaked and honed to make editing with that DTD for many
years. Now
	>imagine you pop a document according to your vocabulary into an XML
	>editor. It doesn't know what's a list item, it doesn't know what's
      >paragraph, etc. You'll need to do a bunch of work to teach it all of
that

Maybe I'm missing something, but could they not have described the data
using 'standard' XML and used a separate styling entity to (eg. XSL) to
actually implement the data?? Surely describing the data for a list item and
using some attribute understood by the styling language to interpret how it
would be displayed would have made sense - no?

I know there are things whcih just don't work - ie. Macros - but they don't
work when saved as HTML anyway.
I just think it would have been tremendous if we could use XML to it's
potential and I con't see any real reason whay it couldn't have started with
W2k.

Maybe I'm just too optimistic - thanks for the pointers to the editors.

cheers,
Steven

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)