X-Schema

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Mon Jun 28 00:48:33 BST 1999

David Megginson wrote:

> Paul Prescod writes:
>
>  > I am genuinely interested in improving XML usability, however, so I
>  > would like to hear counter-arguments.
>
> In my opinion, the best counter argument is that you can include
> structured documentation as part of the schema itself.  In a DTD, an
> awful lot of useful information is stashed away in comments, and has
> to be copied into documentation using cut-and-paste.

This is true. You've helped me to realize that I don't dislike
instance-syntax schemas -- I dislike instance-syntax content models. There
is no reason to reinvent regular expressions in XML element syntax.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Perhaps the war in Kosovo would get more press if it were directed by
George Lucas.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)