writing xml is not as easy as it looks

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at ifi.uio.no
Mon Jun 28 12:14:21 BST 1999

* Kay Michael

| But in my experience I've found it easier to write the XML directly
| to an output file than to build the DOM structures. Probably the
| only benefit of going via the DOM is that it will handle character
| encoding and escaping for you.

Personally I think using a SAX DocumentHandler for this has several
advantages, especially in Python:

 - it's easier (especially when dealing with attributes)
 - it makes it much easier for someone to intercept the output stream
   and make some other kind of use of it[1]
 - you get escaping automatically
 - you can easily get pretty-printing if you want it

--Lars M.

[1] Building their own object structure and working with that, passing
    through a parser filter before going to disk, building a DOM
    structure etc.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)