parsers for Palm?

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Mon Jun 28 17:16:18 BST 1999

After spending a couple of weeks with the Palm V I picked up at JavaOne,
I've gotten attached to the thing, and not just as an organizer.  I have
some ideas for real work on it, some of which involve XML.

Has anyone done any work on XML using the Palm?  Before Palm OS 3.0, it
seems like a lot of issues (like support for file streams, period) would
have limited any XML work to conduit programming (on the desktop side.)

I think an Aelfred-like approach, which accepts XML but sacrifices 100%
checking for performance and size, would probably be most appropriate.
(With only 2MB of memory total, I think we'll be working with event-based
parsing only.)  Even Expat seems a bit large for this kind of work.

Anyway, before I started trying to build some XML tools for Palm, I thought
I'd see if any of the rest of you have tried it yet.  I'm pondering using
the KJava Virtual Machine that came with the Palm (in alpha, of course),
but might revert to C if it seems absolutely necessary.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications
Inside XML DTDs: Scientific and Technical (July)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)