XML Editors - Word 2000??

Philip Nye philipnye at freenet.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 11:55:53 BST 1999

I don't see why a user entering data into an XML document (leave aside
editing the DTD for now) should need to be aware of the syntax of tags
at all. Many document aplications including spreadsheets,
wordprocessors, databases and even file browsers have some sort of
outlining mode or tree view which could be fairly easily extended to
automatically (from the DTD) provide a choice of allowable tags and
attributes to be associated at each outlining level. There are some
questions with complicated content models over how much on-the fly
validation can be done and how much needs to be deferred but the rest
would be straightforward and the user interface could be fairly
intuitive to a lot of people who have no concept of what XML means.

Another model more familiar to database type applications would involve
entering data into forms which change dynamically to reflect the choices
already entered.

I could also envisage visual techniques which would create or modify a
DTD similar to those used in many database applications for creating
database structures and layouts.

Finally for those using XML purely as "HTML mkII" the same sort of web
authoring tools remain.

As XML documents move into the mainstream I am sure these programs will
emerge. However, just as you can create a table in a wordprocessor or in
a spreadsheet or in a database and probably save them all in DBF format,
I would think that the idea of a generic XML editor will fade as the
format/language moves away from computer professionals to wider
adoption. Why expect one tool to handle the whole range of uses for XML?

Philip Nye
Engineering Arts
electronics consultants

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)