ModSax Suggestion

MikeDacon at aol.com MikeDacon at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 01:53:52 GMT 1999

Hi Everyone,

While SAX does a good job as an event-based interface
to Parsers, it would be nice to add a few methods to
receive a DOM representation back from a reference to an org.xml.sax.Parser.

Something like:

org.w3c.dom.Document  parse(InputSource  is, boolean events) throws
SAXException;
org.w3c.dom.Document  parse(java.lang.String uri, boolean events) throws
SAXException;
/* the events boolean would be to turn on/off event calls. */

If a SAXDriver did not want to produce a DOM, it could either simply
return a null or a method added like:

boolean isDomCapable();

The above would let me use the ParserFactory to seamlessly switch
between Parser implementations and get a DOM tree without building
one myself.  It is fruitless for me to build a DOM tree when almost all
the parser implementations provide that ability.  I just want a way to get
at that functionality in a simple and standard way (thus SAX).

Thoughts?

 - Mike
Michael C. Daconta
Author of Java 2 and JavaScript for C/C++ Programmers
Author of C++ Pointers and Dynamic Memory Management
Sun Certified Java Programmer and Developer
http://www.gosynergy.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)