XML MULTI-Fragment Interchange?

Bill la Forge b.laforge at jxml.com
Sat Mar 6 20:57:14 GMT 1999

From: Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard at w3.org>
>  Hum, I have been following the streaming/fragment thread. However I have
>the feeling that even multiple fragment body extensions would not solve
>the problem you were facing. If I didn't get the discussion wrong, it seems
>that you rather tried to make one very big (i.e. stream) document from
>multiple sources while the scope of the fragment work was just the opposite,
>i.e. how to extract and ship a piece of a very big document.

Actually, it sounds to me like the seperation of physical and logical layers.

On the one hand, I have some data to move. Multiple documents, multiple fragements,
whatever. (logical)

On the other hand, I have a stream. It can pass any number of documents or fragments.
(physical)

The fragments in the stream could be all from one document or from different queries
on different documents or from one query applied to a set of documents. It shouldn't
matter.

And how one might reassemble fragments back into a large document is another
problem, though the stream should provide sufficient information to do so.

Bill

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)