SAX RFD: ModSAX Predefined Features

MikeDacon at aol.com MikeDacon at aol.com
Mon Mar 8 02:32:27 GMT 1999

Hi Dave,

Before responding to your specific proposal ... I do not understand
why you are creating a new interface like ModParser
instead of just evolving the Parser interface itself.  Personally,
while I know full well what it would mean to implement Parser --
a "ModParser" is just plain confusing.  Five years from now,
someone should not have to know the history of SAX to understand
the terminology.

Now to the Predefined features...

david at megginson.com writes:
> What:   Four proposed predefined features for ModSAX
>  Action: Please read and comment (especially to propose core features
>          I've missed)
>
>  Last month, I posted a proposal [1] for a backwards-compatible SAX
>  layer called ModSAX, which will allow parser and filter writers to
>  extend SAX and application writers to discover what extensions exist,
>  all in a well-defined and predictable way.

I like the idea of SAX filters but still feel that you should allow
access to a DOM Document if the implementing Parser can supply one.
I won't restate the suggestion here as it was covered in a previous email.
However; that could greatly simplify a filter-writer's job.

>  The relevant part of that interface for this posting is the following
>  method in ModParser (which extends org.xml.sax.Parser):
>
>    public abstract void setFeature (String featureID, boolean state)
>      throws SAXNotSupportedException;
>
>  The value of featureID will in some way piggyback on DNS, either by
>  using URIs or by using names similar to Java packages.  Although
>  people will be allowed (and encouraged) to invent their own features,
>  I'd like to predefine a core set of features for the next SAX
>  release.  Here's what I've thought of so far:

Since some finite set of SAX features will not approach a global naming
problem, I strongly urge not to use a URI.  If a package name scheme is
to be used, something like "sax.feature.validation".  It would also be nice
to provide one word String constants for the standard features.

Best wishes,

 - Mike Daconta (mdaconta at aol.com)

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)