Opinions requested

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Tue Mar 9 00:34:35 GMT 1999

At 09:02 AM 3/8/99 -0800, Jerome McDonough wrote:
>I share your skepticism, but we can hope.  If nothing else, there appears
>to be at least the dawnings of an understanding among the major DBMS
>vendors that there's a huge market for text management/retrieval products.
>Some of the approaches taken by the object-oriented database folks, like
>Informix's data blades, struck me as having promise.

There's the rub.  *Is* there really a huge market for text
management/retrieval?  The history of software is littered with the
corpses of companies who tried to make a go of it in that area; I
know from personal experience that up to and through the year 1996,
there was *not* any such huge market.  Will XML change that?  It
would be nice to think so. -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)