SAX: ModSAX addition, general property query

Kay Michael Michael.Kay at icl.com
Tue Mar 9 10:00:50 GMT 1999

> I've been thinking about this issue, and I'm fairly convinced
> that the URI is the right choice.
>
> Think of the URI a statement of ownership.  Assume that my ISP is
> host.net, and that I've been allocated 5MB of web space at
> http://host.net/foo/.

I don't often disagree with David, but I think this is quite misguided.

If we're only after a unique identifier we could use the longitude and
latitude of the house where I live. In fact that would be better, because it
identifies a unique place, whereas the "http:" idea also says you can get
there by bus and the buses are run by the host.net bus company: in fact it
invites you to "click here" to jump on the bus. But if you get on the bus
and ask for the destination the driver will tell you "Never heard of it,
guv."

And of course it ignores the fact that you can have two buses going to the
same place from different directions.

Just because Namespaces made this mistake (and confused all newbies by doing
so) doesn't mean we have to as well.

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)