Namespaces and DTDs

Ronald Bourret rbourret at ito.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Mar 10 09:16:04 GMT 1999

james anderson wrote:

> ? which of the "namespace aware" parsers will permit you to parse
validate a
> document for which partions of the dtd contain element declarations with
> ambiguous names - without first modifying the dtd? i've yet to hear a
solution
> to the "ambiguous name" problem for xml-1.0/+ns conforming parsers.

Good point -- it was unfair of me to blame the parsers here.  It all seems
rather obvious now:

Q. Why were namespaces invented?
A. To disambiguate duplicate names.

Q. I have a DTD with duplicate names.  How do I disambiguate them?
A. Use namespaces.

The only inobvious bit is that, because there is no way to declare
namespaces in the DTD, you can't declare different default namespaces for
different parts of the DTD, which would have solved Elliotte's problem
rather neatly.

-- Ron Bourret

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)