ModSAX: Proposed Core Features

Sean Mc Grath digitome at iol.ie
Fri Mar 12 19:25:08 GMT 1999

At 01:01 PM 3/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Simon St.Laurent writes:
>
> > We need:
> >
> > http://xml.org/sax/features/external-subset
>
>I agree that this functionality is required.  The question is whether
>there is a strong case for making inclusion of the external DTD subset
>separately configurable from the inclusion of external parameter
>entities in general.

[Dave Megginson]
>I'd suggest not.  Consider the following:
>
>  <!DOCTYPE doc [
>    <!-- other stuff -->
>    <!ENTITY % dtd SYSTEM "doc.dtd">
>  ]>
>
>and
>
>  <!DOCTYPE doc SYSTEM "doc.dtd" [
>    <!-- other stuff -->
>  ]>
>
>Except for the extra "%doc" entry in the entity name table, these two
>document type declarations look to me to be exactly equivalent; as a
>matter of fact, I've always considered the second to be simply a
>short-hand for the first.

In the former, the doc.dtd entity is part of the internal document
type declaration subset. In the latter it is part of the
external document type declaration subset.

So, if you have conditional sections in doc.dtd then they are
not the same.

regards,

<Sean uri="http://www.digitome.com/sean.htm"/>

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)