Multi-valued attributes

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at ifi.uio.no
Thu Mar 18 10:51:09 GMT 1999

* James Tauber

| xmlsoftware.com is a single XML document with two main sections, a
| list of categories with descriptions and a list of software. Each
| category has an ID. IDREFS could be used for associating products
| with one *or more* categories:

My XML tools list in fact does this.  And since it has a separate
section for vendors IDREFS are used to identify vendors as well.  Thus
PyExpat can be listed as the work of both James Clark and Jack Jansen.

The matter of IDREFS support in XSL was never a problem, since I use
Python for my conversion to HTML.  I've built a module that represents
the contents using Vendor, Product and Category objects and uses
hashtables to resolve IDREFs.

This has the added advantage that from the same in-memory API I can
easily build my search index[1].  The Python marshal module is used to
dump and load the index, and for the moment (current DB size) this
operation is lightning fast.

| James
| (not an SGML tribal elder)

--Lars M. (not an elder at all :)