IE5.0 does not conform to RFC2376

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Sun Mar 21 17:51:20 GMT 1999

At 12:09 AM 3/22/99 +0900, MURATA Makoto wrote:
>I believe that IE 5.0 does not conform to RFC2376 (XML Media Types),
>of which I am a co-author.

Yeah, well, IE 5.0 also fails to conform to XML 1.0, in a variety
of quite serious ways.  I.e. CDATA sections don't work, entities
stop working if you use CSS (?!?), escaping < with &lt; only works
if the next character isn't a "?".  Oh yes, it also violates the
namespace draft by hardwiring the prefix "html".

Since they rebuilt it from scratch for this release, we could cut
them some slack as standard release 1.0 bugs, but it's hard not to
be a bit irritated, since there has been excellent free software
available since 1997 that does these things correctly.

 -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)