IE5.0 does not conform to RFC2376

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Tue Mar 23 02:25:00 GMT 1999

Chris Lilley scripsit:

> Okay. But does RFC 2376 conflict with the XML 1.0 Recommendation?

The Recommendation basically says "We yield to the RFC once it is
published".

> > When the charset parameter is not specified, it is assumed as US-ASCII.
>
> Wow. So, what this RFC says is that, when used in email and on HTTP, the
> encoding declaration is *always ignored*.

Unfortunately this is a side effect of the rules for the media type
"text/*", which says that the default value of "charset" is always US-ASCII.
The alternative is to use "application/xml", which has no such
obnoxious rule.

John Cowan					cowan at ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)