XML complexity, namespaces (was WG)

Marcelo Cantos marcelo at mds.rmit.edu.au
Tue Mar 23 08:56:37 GMT 1999

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 03:51:11PM +1100, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> From: David Megginson <david at megginson.com
>
> >In SGML, you have to write a special program to act on the information
> >in the data attributes (nothing does this out of the box); in XML, you
> >have to write a special program to act on the PUA.
>
> Huh? OmniMark allows access to data attributes just as easily as element
> attributes (http://www.omnimark.com/develop/om40/doc/concept/646.htm),
> out of the box. Several CALS-aware tools understand the notations used
> in data attributes, e.g.,  when used for graphics.
>
> And I dont agree that elements and characters and attributes and
> entities should be thought of  as interconvertable: search routines look
> for character codes--I don't know of any search routines which allow
> grepping on data and elements.

SIM builds indexes on arbitrary expressions.  This allows you to index
content, attributes, and even processing instructions if you want.

When doing path indexing, a search engine can treat attributes as
nodes of the tree rather than special things attached to nodes (one
possibility is to treat them as child elements with an '@' in front of
the element name).

Cheers,
Marcelo