Maybe a naive question about XML Data

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Fri Mar 26 17:55:54 GMT 1999

At 09:20 AM 3/26/99 -0800, Peter Zingg wrote:
>Let's say I develop software primarily for the Windows platform...
>  Why
>wouldn't I want to use the XML Data-derived schema language, data typing,
>etc., that Microsoft is using in Office 2000 and Internet Explorer 5?
>What would you do if you wanted to commit to a company-wide XML strategy
>today?

Use DTDs; they will help with a small percentage of your business-logic
validation and you'll have to write code to do the rest.  When next-gen
schemas come along, they'll cover a somewhat larger portion of your
business-logic validation in a nice declarative way, and you'll be
able to retire some of your code.  But not all.  -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)