Fast filter support in SAX2

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at ifi.uio.no
Sun Mar 28 11:21:37 BST 1999

* Lars Marius Garshol

| However, then we need to define the element stack interface and what
| should be included there. Just the elements? Elements and attributes?
| Elements, attributes and sibling number? Which entity each element
| comes from?

* John Cowan

| Just the element types, IMHO.  This is very easy to expose as Strings
| for almost any kind of parser.  If you want more, do it yourself.

In that case you'll need to make your own stack in addition to the
element stack.  Maybe we should consider providing some means of
annotating the element stack? Some kind of property/value scheme?

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Maybe this should be done outside the SAX core?

* John Cowan

| It certainly can be, but the parser is already doing it, and why
| reinvent the wheel?

Because, like I pointed out earlier, the parser probably has more than
just element names in its stack, like the entity it appeared in, and
in some cases possibly location information as well. That needs to be
stripped out when presenting this to the application, which may well
be slower than letting the application do this for itself.

And for many applications more information in the stack is needed, and
then what?

--Lars M.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)