Is there anyone working on a binary version of XML?

Kay Michael Michael.Kay at icl.com
Tue Mar 30 11:20:21 BST 1999

> I have come to feel however that there is room for a
> "works-as-if" binary analogue to text based XML.

I did various experiments with this a while back. I tried a serialised SAX
event stream, a simple canonicalisation and transcoding in which the special
characters like "<" were replaced with octet values <x20, a Java
serialisation of the DOM, etc. None gave a worthwhile saving over a stright
reparsing of the original XML text stream, in fact most performed worse. So
I gave up.

Mike Kay