RDF Question: just need to reference the parent class for domain?

Roger L. Costello costello at mitre.org
Tue May 4 13:48:36 BST 1999

Consider this RDF Schema definition:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf=“http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#”
                 xmlns:rdfs=“.../PR-rdf-schema-19990303#”>
      <rdfs:Class rdf:ID=“Camera”>
            <rdfs:subClassOf
                      rdf:resource=“...#Resource”/>
      </rdfs:Class>
      <rdfs:Class rdf:ID=“SLR”>
            <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource=“#Camera”/>
      </rdf:Class>
      <rdf:Property ID=“f-stop”>
            <rdfs:domain rdf:resource=“#Camera”/>
            <rdfs:domain rdf:resource=“#SLR”/>
            <rdfs:range rdf:resource=“...#Real”/>
      </rdf:Property>
</rdf:RDF>

Note that SLR is a subClass of Camera.  In the definition of the f-stop
property I indicate what domains the property may be used in - Camera
and SLR.  My question is this: since SLR is a subclass of Camera then
can I omit the second domain property, i.e., just use:

      <rdf:Property ID=“f-stop”>
            <rdfs:domain rdf:resource=“#Camera”/>
            <rdfs:range rdf:resource=“...#Real”/>
      </rdf:Property>

f-stop can be used in any sublasses of Camera and I don't have to
specify all the subclasses that it may be used in.  Correct?  /Roger

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)