XML-Conformant Programming Languages

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at ifi.uio.no
Thu May 6 20:01:46 BST 1999

* Steve Oldmeadow

| To quote the Tao Te Ching "He who understands does not preach, he
| who preaches does not understand" ;) Seriously though, I would love
| to learn LISP and FORTH unfortunately time is limited and there
| isn't much demand where I am for LISP and FORTH programmers.

However, there is demand for good programmers, and for that reason
alone it is well worth your while to learn Lisp. (Certainly, it was
worth mine.)

My recommendation to anyone who is serious about programming is to get
hold of SICP[1] and a book on Common Lisp[2] and get started. SICP
should pay off immediately, but Common Lisp requires you to get used
to it before you start getting any benefits from it.

Oh, and you can earn a living writing Common Lisp.

--Lars M.

[1] <URL: http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/>
[2] Maybe 'ANSI Common Lisp' and 'On Lisp' by Paul Graham.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)