Can't subclass ElementNode in applet

Steve Demuth sdemuth at artemisalliance.com
Fri May 7 23:32:27 BST 1999

I've got an application which subclasses ElementNode with, for example, a
class com.artemisalliance.xml.ModelNode.  ModelNode implements some methods
which wrap various features of the Node interface.

This works fine when I have the com.sun.xml package exploded into my class
path for the IDE, but if I try to run it with the package in the jar,
either in the ide or in a browser, I get an IllegalAccessError:

java.lang.IllegalAccessError: try to access class
com/sun/xml/tree/ParentNode from class com/artemisalliance/xml/client/ModelNode

I've got three questions:

1) Why is ParentNode not a public class?

2) Why does the JVM throw this only when the package is jar'd?

3) Any ideas what I can do about this?  It would be very inconvenient not
to be able to subclass ElementNode.

TIA

Steve Demuth

Artemis Alliance, Inc.          An Inprise Premier Partner
289 East Fifth St, Suite 211
St. Paul, MN 55101              sdemuth at artemisalliance.com
651-227-7172 or 319-382-0593

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)