Benchmark of 6 XML parsers on Solaris

Mark D. Anderson mda at discerning.com
Tue May 11 07:23:21 BST 1999

>1. Java is faster than Perl/Python for _all_ test cases

there are substantial variations in VM performance across
vendor and OS; see:
http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-1999/jw-03-volanomark.html?022399ibd

Also, for reasons that I can only attribute to laziness on
the part of implementors, java VMs seem to take a ridiculous
amount of time to start up. Beats me what they are doing.
This is particularly striking given that java was first
promulgated for browser applets.

Judging from the level of discussion on various other lists I'm
on, none of java, perl, or python were designed with lightweight,
accurate, and meaningful profiling of their own run time built in.
So people interested in improving performance are left pouring over
the leavings of gprof. Confronted with that, one quickly concludes
it isn't necessary work, because in the real world one
is always waiting on network or disk anyway :).

-mda

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)