XLink: behavior must go!

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Wed May 12 15:33:44 BST 1999

Paul Prescod wrote:

[XLink complaints snipped]

A hypothetical question:  How much of your concerns would be alleviated
if XLink explicitly modeled traversal arcs and moved the behavior
attributes to individual arcs?  Not all, obviously, but not zero either.

The pure presentation concerns, IMHO, go away if we concede that
stylesheet languages should understand links as objects (as opposed
to treating them like all other elements), as your last section
proposes.  However, I don't see how a stylesheet can sensibly
prescribe behavior like "replace".

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)