What is W3C's official position on use of PI?

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Thu May 13 01:39:20 BST 1999

At 04:15 PM 5/12/99 -0700, Don Park wrote:
>I would like know exactly what W3C's position is on the use of Processing
>Instruction.

I do not speak for W3C, but I can say with little fear of contradiction
that consensus on this issue does not yet exist.  Some people, as a matter
of principle, regard PIs as problematic second-class syntax and would like
simply to cease using them.  Others see them as a perfectly respectable
out-of-band signaling mechanism.  Each time the idea of using PIs for
some purpose has been proposed, lengthy and intense debate has ensued.

In terms of W3C Recommendations, PIs occur in XML 1.0, where they are
defined, and in DOM Level 1, which provides an API interface to them.
There may be others but those are the ones I know about. -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)