What is W3C's official position on use of PI?

Don Park donpark at quake.net
Thu May 13 06:16:17 BST 1999

> As I said in that message, the important thing about processing
> instructions is that they are invisible to content models. If XML Schemas
> invented a way to make elements invisible to content models (like SGML's
> inclusion exceptions, but maybe only allowed at the top level) and a way
> to add these inclusions to existing schemas easily then processing
> instructions could be replaced by these "floating", element types. That
> would be neat.

I entirely agree with your opinion.  Liam's view is that of concern over
misuse where I am more concerned with functionality.  I believe XML
community can benefit from a guideline for proper use of PI as well as some
mechanism for registering PI target names.   Meanwhile we need to encourage
HTML browsers to recognize PI so that we do not lose this important feature
of XML.

Best,

Don Park

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)