What is W3C's official position on use of PI?

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Thu May 13 12:12:55 BST 1999

Don Park writes:

 > I would like know exactly what W3C's position is on the use of
 > Processing Instruction.

Perhaps we should start a W3C Should-People-Use-PIs Working Group, or
even a PI Activity with several WGs (the PIs-In-Old-HTML-Browsers WG,
the PIs-For-Stylesheets WG, etc.).

Sorry -- Tim's reply is actually a bit more useful.  This is really a
question about people and their (varying) opinions, not about W3C
policy.  Here are the two ends of the spectrum:

1. PIs are probably too useful to drop altogether -- they allow you to
   do things like mark irregular revision boundaries, invent new
   declaration types, etc.

2. Level-three-browser compatibility is probably too important to drop
   altogether -- PIs are unlikely to show up in specs that might be
   used on HTML pages (Namespaces, RDF, Stylesheet linking, XHTML).

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/