Again wit da AND and Repetitions

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Thu May 13 22:30:39 BST 1999

roddey at us.ibm.com wrote:

> Does anyone believe that these can be done in less than brute force tree search
> times?

Since it can obviously be turned into a DFA, it can be as efficient
as a DFA (linear time).  Though compiling a content model into a DFA
is not consistently cheap, and I wonder how many folk will care to
implement it both correctly and efficiently.

My issue is the wisdom of having such features.  They're not
necessary, and the particular sort of "feature creep" I see
happening now with XML is a worry to me.

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)