auto/embed is not node transclusion

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sat May 15 20:54:13 BST 1999

Robert Stretch wrote:

> The difference between transclusion and inclusion is that the context of the
> transcluded content is still retained. In Nelson's application model,
> transclusions opened a viewport that was nested inside your document. This
> way you could scroll above and below the transcluded content to see its
> original context.

Thanks for point that out. I think that most people are more interested in
the lower-level mechanism that we would call "node-level inclusion".
Transclusion could (and arguably should) be built on top of inclusion.

<transclude href="somedox.txt">

can be transformed into:

<scollable_window>
   <include href="somedoc.txt">
</scrollable_window>

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Earth will soon support only survivor species -- dandelions, roaches,
lizards, thistles, crows, rats. Not to mention 10 billion humans.
	- Planet of the Weeds, Harper's Magazine, October 1998

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)