[Question] Re: XLink: behavior must go!

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Mon May 17 01:30:06 BST 1999

"John E. Simpson" wrote:

> This thread's sort of calmed down in the last few days, but I've been
> wondering something.
>
> Would it be fair to say that the behavior attribute of an XLinking element
> is intended to function as a sort of localized (element-context-specific)
> PI -- a trigger to XLink-smart processors that is ignorable by others? If
> so, in what way is such an attribute more problematic than actual PIs?

PIs have a rough namespace differentiation mechanism. You can look at a PI
and know whether you handle it or not. (this mechanism should really be
global and tied to "XML namespaces" but PIs are used infrequently enough
that it should not be a problem)

If a processor it sees <MYLINK ... BEHAVIOR="popup()"> how does the
processor know which of the many programming language "plugins" it should
be passed to?

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Earth will soon support only survivor species -- dandelions, roaches,
lizards, thistles, crows, rats. Not to mention 10 billion humans.
	- Planet of the Weeds, Harper's Magazine, October 1998

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)