Overall XML Schema "structure" impressions

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Mon May 17 11:58:43 BST 1999

I am amazed that people from so wide a variety of backgrounds could so
quickly come up with a relatively solid specification. If the schema spec
were frozen today I would grumble about its imperfections but still choose
it over DTDs. (not because its syntax is "more friendly" -- it isn't --
rather it is more robust and manageable)

Clearly the group has so far limited its scope and ambition appropriately.
As it is defined to be extensible we do not have to solve all of the
problems in one go around. Presumably it will also interoperate with other
schema languages that will be necessary for other data models (i.e. the
linking graph, RDF) and for vertical markets.

It is exciting to see the parts of the XML pantheon come together so
coherently. I've made my specific reservations known separately but
overall the common sense exhibited in the draft makes me feel confident
that they will be dealt with.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

The dress code in Las Cruces New Mexico has been tightened [to] target
Gothic clothing, such as dark trench coats. "It is not a witch hunt"
Superintendent Jesse L. Gozales said. "It is for the safety of the kids
in our schools."  - Associated Press, May 16 1999

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)