A milestone in XML

Jeffrey Ricker ricker at xmls.com
Mon May 17 16:18:39 BST 1999

Sorry for the delay in response. Short vacation with the family.

First things first: Of course CDF is XML. It is one of the very first uses
of XML.

You would be hard pressed to say I am in the Microsoft ecosystem, but lets
give credit where its due. Yes, channels were overhyped and didn't go
anywhere. (I personally believe the same fate awaits portals.)

But look at the underlying purpose and capability of a CDF file. I
designates a group of related files, describes them and tells you if and
when they change. Now that's practical and it works.

Are you going to tell me CDF is complicated? If you want complicated, look
at ICE! But then realize that ICE is industrial strength content
syndication, not intended for the pedestrian web page hacker.

Climb under the hood of PointCast some time. It is very simple, make that
practical, technology. CDF didn't meet all their needs, but they didn't
throw the baby out with the bathwater. They didn't reinvent anything. They
simply extended it. Isn't that what we did with HTML for the past few years?

PS. Why do you call it a milestone, anyway?

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)