A milestone in XML

Deke Smith deke at tallent.com
Tue May 18 00:22:40 BST 1999

On 5/15/99 5:07 PM Lars Marius Garshol at larsga at ifi.uio.no said:

>When I first started looking at RSS I immediately noticed two things:
>
> a) it's incredibly simple (too simple, in fact)
> b) it's probably the most widely supported XML application so far,
>    both in terms of software and content
>
>To me this smells like worse-is-better again, and I think that's a
>good answer to your question.

Remember the Bauhuas mantra: "Form follows function."

For what it is used for, a low stress way for self-published sites to
expose their index, it is very appropriate. Especially since most of
these self-published sites are produced by individuals who don't care to
delve into intricacies of any standard.

<idealism>
As someone who is chagrined to see large corporations carving the
Internet up amongst theirselves I am excited to see tools that give a
voice and audience to the "common people."

We're talking big magic here. The dark side of this sort of empowerment
can be seen in Columbine here in the US. The positive power can be seen
in sites like B92 from Yugoslavia.
</idealism>

It is good to let a spoon be a spoon and not a food processor.

Deke Smith
Tallent Communications Group, Brentwood TN
deke at tallent.com, 615-661-9878

"Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow they may cancel your VISA."
     -Anon.