XML-Data Reduced (XDR) [External Data Representation]

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Wed May 19 03:03:32 BST 1999

Andrew Layman wrote:

> "XML-Data Reduced" (XDR) refers to a trimmed and improved version of the
> XML-Data schema syntax.  The original XML-Data submission can be found at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-XML-data/ .   Information on XML-Data Reduced
> is at http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/XMLGuide/schema-overview.asp .

"The XML Schema implementation that ships with Internet Explorer 5 is
based primarily upon the XML-Data Note , posted by the W3C in January
1998, and the Document Content Description note. XML Schemas in Internet
Explorer 5 provide support for the subset of XML-Data that coincides
directly with the functionality expressed in DCD, albeit in a slightly
different XML grammar."

"The XML Schema implementation provided with Internet Explorer 5 focuses
on syntactic schemas, without support for inheritance or other
object-oriented design features."

Ah, well then. That clears things up.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

The dress code in Las Cruces New Mexico has been tightened [to] target
Gothic clothing, such as dark trench coats. "It is not a witch hunt"
Superintendent Jesse L. Gozales said. "It is for the safety of the kids
in our schools."  - Associated Press, May 16 1999

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)