How to disable validation.

Paul Tchistopolksii paul at qub.com
Wed May 19 06:59:04 BST 1999

Hello.

 I have a question about DTD's.

 Here is the (simplified) situation.

 Let's consider that we have company A
 processing XML documents of some
 kind ( A-documents), validating those
 documents with some DTD ( let's call
 it A.DTD ).

 Company B does the same validation-based
 processing with their B-documents.

 The only difference between A-documents and
 B-documents is that A-documents have
 <A1> element that is specific to company A
 and B-documents have <B1> element specific
 to company B - the rest of elements and
 attributes are the same for both companies.

 Now our companies decided to exchange
 their documents. As a solution they may write
 XSL stylesheets, or ( maybe) use entities
 to remove A1 elemets and B1 elements.
 I see no other ways to workaround this
 situation and both are a bit complicated.

 The problem here is to hide some part of
 XML document from the validation process.

 If company B could say in B.DTD something
 like:

 <ELEMENT   COMPANY_A_SPECIFIC>
 <!ATTLIST  COMPANY_A_SPECIFIC EMPTY>
 <!ATTLIST  COMPANY_A_SPECIFIC ANYTHING>

 And company A would add to A.DTD

 <ELEMENT   COMPANY_B_SPECIFIC>
 <!ATTLIST  COMPANY_B_SPECIFIC EMPTY>
 <!ATTLIST  COMPANY_B_SPECIFIC ANYTHING>

 That will allow both companies to do
 whatever they like inside their elements
 ( A1 and B1 would become attributes, for example )
 and easily exchange the documents without
 any ( even simple ) XSL-based ( or not XSL-based )
 filtering.

 I'm sure there is some answer to this
 "how to hide some part of  XML document
 from validation?"

 I'l appreciate if you'l provide me with any
 URL that may be related to this problem.

 Thank you.

Rgds.Paul.

paul at pault.com
http://www.pault.com