none

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at ifi.uio.no
Thu May 20 00:05:41 BST 1999

* roddey at us.ibm.com

| The original content model is pretty unambiguous. If you get one to
| two As, then D and E are optional. If you get 3 to 5 As, then D and
| E are not. But in the DFA, that would be pretty ambiguous, wouldn't
| it?

You're quite right, my suggested transformation could inject ambiguity
into a content model that did not originally have it, and this does
make it appear much less attractive.

I haven't had time to think it through, but it might be possible to
contrive a solution that in the case of merged foo{m,n} groups would
choose different exits depending on the actual number of foos. Or it
may be too difficult to actually be much of a gain.

--Lars M.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)