SAX2 and XSLT processors

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Thu May 20 16:34:06 BST 1999

Oren Ben-Kiki writes:

 > W3C features are different in two important respects. First, these
 > are features one _must_ use to comply with "official standards".

Actually, that's not the case.  W3C standards may be interdependent,
but they are not a package deal -- for example, I can use XML with a
format other than RDF for exchanging metadata (and in the future, RDF
may use serialization formats other than XML).  I can use Perl, Java,
Python, DSSSL, or or what-have-you to transform or render XML
documents without becoming in any way non-conformant.  I can look at
XML documents through any API (though SAX and the DOM are good for
general-purpose work), and I can set up linking any way I want.

I don't think that it was ever the W3C's intention to say that XSLT is
the only way that people should transform XML documents; if so, I
strongly object.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com