DTD's

John E. Simpson simpson at polaris.net
Thu May 20 19:20:03 BST 1999

At 05:25 PM 05/20/1999 +0100, Robert Maher wrote:
>Can anyone tell me how to 'register' DTD's
>where do you save them to so that when you write
><... SYSTEM "blah.dtd"> in your xml file it recognises it?

No "registration" required.

The SystemID is just a URI (think "URL"), just like you'd use in an HTML
anchor tag's href attribute. As with any other URI, the location can be
absolute (including the http://whatever.domain.com/path/ portion as well as
the specific file name, like blah.dtd in your case) or relative (omitting
any portions of the URI that are identical to the URI of the document
referring to the DTD). So if you use plain old blah.dtd, as above, you're
saying "find the file blah.dtd in the same location (= folder, directory,
whatever) as this document itself."

HTH.
John E. Simpson            | The secret of eternal youth
simpson at polaris.net        | is arrested development.
http://www.flixml.org      |  -- Alice Roosevelt Longworth

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)