Questioning XSL

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Fri May 21 05:06:11 BST 1999

At 06:37 PM 5/20/99 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>There's a new issue up over at XML.com which highlights an argument that's
>been going on here and there in private, but never heretofore in public:
>Is XSL a good idea?

Daggers have been out on the XSL-list on this issue for a good long time.
(See the archives at http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list for too many
details.)  Hakon Wium Lie's "Formatting Objects Considered Harmful"
(http://www.operasoftware.com/people/howcome/1999/foch.html) kicked off
about two weeks of fairly explosive debate about a month ago, but these
issues have been simmering for a long while.

It's wonderful to see XML.com publishing controversial articles, especially
ones whose viewpoint I happen to share. ;-)

(Oops, I used a smiley.  Haven't done that in a long time!)

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (June)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)