Questioning XSL

Steve Muench SMUENCH at us.oracle.com
Fri May 21 19:24:17 BST 1999

There are plenty of customers I work with who want
to build web pages and data structures for data-exchange
by specifying a "template" of what they would like to
come out and "plug-in" the data from their database query
directly into the template.

Many of these developers are familar with the declarative
nature of SQL which lets them ask the database to
"SELECT" what they want "FROM" the sources they need
"WHERE" certain conditions exists.

They are looking for a template-based way to create these
pages and "datagrams" and are not willing to write
DOM manipulation code to produce a simple web page output
when something like:

would be used to "plug-in" the data.

I find many of Michael Leventhal's arguments of the
form:

   "You don't need XSL since you can do it with DOM"

to be analogous to saying:

   "You don't need SQL since you can get the data out
    by using assembly language to iterate the bytes
    on the disk blocks to retrieve what you need!"

Steve Muench, Consulting Product Manager & XML Evangelist
Business Components for Java Dev't Team
http://www.oracle.com/xml