Questioning XSL

James Robertson jamesr at steptwo.com.au
Sun May 23 05:58:14 BST 1999

At 01:37 22/05/1999 , Paul Prescod wrote:

  | I think that it is worth noting that most of the people who are in the
  | "XSL camp" are people are thoroughly familiar with scripting languages.
  | The reverse is not true. We have tried both and found the XSL way to be
  | more convenient. There is no programming language that quite captures
  | XSL's optimized mix of "polymorphic dispatch", pattern matching and
  | convenient template description.

What I'm keeping an interested eye on is the process of
"retiring" specifications.

There are so many X*L specifications, recommendations,
and notes at the moment, most must die in due course
as a part of a process of natural selection.

I think we will most likely end up with only
a handful of widely-used standards, with the
rest consigned to the annals of history.

Will XSL be one of the sucesssful standards?

I don't know.

What I can say is that personally I use Omnimark
(which is now free for all) for this sort of
work, and I'm very happy with it. Looking at the
expressiveness of XSL, I have doubts.

But I don't claim to be representative of
any cross-section of the XML community.

Just an interested observer, and a practical
implementer.

Cheers,

James

James Robertson