DTDs

Oliver Becker obecker at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu May 27 10:23:46 BST 1999

Hello,

> A document has only one DTD. However, a DTD is principally just a set of
> markup declarations. It is possible to take the markup declarations of two
> DTDs and have a document use the union as a DTD. Note that you would have to
> modify the content models in at least one of the original DTDs in order to
> allow for elements from one DTD to include elements from the other.

... unless you have ANY as content model ;-)

Another question concerning this topic:

The XML spec states at the end of 2.8
"If both the external and internal subsets are used, the internal subset is
 considered to occur before the external subset."

How do I express this?
The syntax allows me to write the following:

<!DOCTYPE example SYSTEM "example.dtd" [
   <!ELEMENT example (something)>
   <!-- and so on -->
]>

How will the external (example.dtd) and the internal subsets be merged
in this case?

Or do I have to write

<!DOCTYPE example [
   <!ENTITY % external SYSTEM "example.dtd">
   <!ELEMENT example (something)>
   <!-- the same as above -->
   %external;
]>

Thank you in advance,
Oliver

|  ob|do        Dipl.Inf. Oliver Becker                             |
|  --+--        E-Mail: obecker at informatik.hu-berlin.de             |
|  op|qo        WWW:    http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~obecker |

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)