Groves? Please ::choke::..

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Fri May 28 15:57:25 BST 1999

Guy Murphy wrote:

> [QUOTE]
> Groves are the abstract representation of an underlying notation and the
> in-memory realisation is constructed using a notation processor, for example
> the grove for an SGML instance is built by the SGML notation processor.
> [QUOTE]
>
> Now up until the last bit this sounds like DOM. Are groves just an object
> model?

http://www.prescod.net/groves/shorttut

It depends on your definition of "object model." I would argue that the
DOM is not an "object model" but is rather an API that has an implicit
object model underneath it. You could also argue that groves are not an
object model because the objects described have no behavior so a better
term would be data model.

Anyhow, the concept is the same as the "XML Information Set" except more
general, more formal and more flexible. The information set is a big step
forward and something like groves is the next step:

The grove model allows you to define *new* information sets for

 * non-XML media

 * for the abstract objects in new abstraction layers on top of XML. For
instance in the grove world we can easily add "nodes" for hyperlinks and
"properties" for namespaces without editing some centrally maintained
"everything there is to know about XML" document.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Alabama's constitution is 100 years old, 300 pages long and has more than
600 amendments. Highlights include "Amendment 393: Amendment of Amendment
No.  351", "Validation of Laws Regulating Court Costs in Randolph County",
"Miscegenation laws", "Bingo Games in Russell County", "Suppression
of dueling".  - http://www.legislature.state.al.us/ALISHome.html

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)