DTD confusion (was Re: Lotsa laughs)

Dan Brickley Daniel.Brickley at bristol.ac.uk
Fri May 28 22:38:39 BST 1999

On Fri, 28 May 1999, David Megginson wrote:

> David LeBlanc writes:
>
> (on DTDs)
>
>  > Ok, now i'm confused David - your second statement seems to
>  > contradict your first statement.
>
> If you give me a single, well-formed XML document, I can *always*
> write a DTD that describes its structure.

As an aside, might be worth mentioning OCLC's Fred project here.

	http://www.oclc.org/fred/

Excerpt from http://www.oclc.org/fred/docs/about-fred.html

	As an electronic publisher, OCLC receives tagged text from several data
	sources. Often, this tagged text is not valid SGML since it does not
	have or conform to a Document Type Definition (DTD). Despite this, OCLC
	must build data transformations, databases, and interfaces for this
	tagged text.
	To address the lack of DTDs, Fred can automatically build DTDs from
	tagged text. [...]

Dan

Daniel.Brickley at bristol.ac.uk
Institute for Learning and Research Technology http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/
University of Bristol,  Bristol BS8 1TN, UK.   phone:+44(0)117-9287096

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)