Overloaded URIs must GO!

Didier PH Martin martind at netfolder.com
Sat May 29 02:21:39 BST 1999

Hi David,

David said:
   Yes, but only by the IETF, unless the IETF starts assigning parts
   of its URN namespace to other users.  XSL, for example, still
   cannot use a URN for a namespace today.  As Paul mentioned later,
   we could use an x-* URN namespace, but that's actually less safe
   than a URL (it's not even guaranteed unique).

Things will change fast once there are other URN namespaces available,
but I can see no good case for arguing that people should be using
URNs rather than URLs as namespaces today.  Perhaps by the end of the
summer, things will be different.

Didier says:
Its not so linked to the fact there is other name spaces than if you want to
use URNs as place holders or as names resolved with a DNS server that would
return URLs. This, with the goal of location independence.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind at netfolder.com
http://www.netfolder.com