Paul has volunteered (was Re: Overloaded URIs must GO!)

Didier PH Martin martind at netfolder.com
Sat May 29 02:28:01 BST 1999

Hi Paul,

David said:
I'd like to publicly thank Paul for enthusiastically volunteering to
take on the work of submitting a proposal for an 'hname' URN namespace
to the IETF.  We all owe him a great debt, fame and fortune await him,
etc., etc.

If Paul proposes 'hname' and isn't immediately flamed to ashes by the
URN elite, we should consider hname URNs for SAX2 features and
properties as well as for XML namespaces.

Didier says:
:-))) that's it Paul you got it :-)))
Seriously, read carefully RFC 2141 and be cautious with "/". Slashes have to
be encoded (like the famous space in URLs is encoded in %20) so I recommend
you  to use other kind of delimiters like for instance ":" like:

urn:hname:context1:context2:context3

You do not need to use the site DNS address if the name revolver is
connected with a DNS server having the right records. If the URN is just
used as an identifier without the intention to resolve the URN into a URL
then no problem you can use any kind of delimiter. I remember that guys from
the VRML used URNs just as names with their own local revolver (not DNS).

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind at netfolder.com
http://www.netfolder.com