URN Madness (was re: Overloaded URIs must GO!)

Didier PH Martin martind at netfolder.com
Sun May 30 20:17:52 BST 1999

Hi John,

John said:
And what happens when the W3C has gone out of business, and the
domain name is reused by the Webley Window Washers' Consortium?

Didier says:
What happens if your ISP or your DNS server provider is out of business?
Usually, the best thing is to be connected to two different DNS server (from
two different providers). If the first one is down then the second one can
take the request. If the first one is out of business the second one can
take it. If both are out of business we call that a lack of good planning
:-)) (look at your DNS setup. You always have two DNS server addresses. A
main and a backup)

> <Question> is this name in conflict with other DNS registered
> names</question>. If you answer no. Then, there would be no problem with
the
> DNS based URN name resolution.

John said:
Not now, but URNs are supposed to be stable.  In any event, I was
not talking about DNS-based URN resolution, but DNS-based URN
creation.

Didier says:
If you think that in the future these URN will be used to be resolve into a
location, then yes, if is better to register the name space or NID to IANA.
If URNs becomes very popular, we'll have to set a better registration
mechanism.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind at netfolder.com