Overloaded URIs must GO!

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Mon May 31 15:13:42 BST 1999

Didier PH Martin writes:

 > Just imagine a second what would be your reaction if I would come
 > to you and says that I cannot create a XML document because there
 > is no official DTD for the document. A second, just imagine that.

It's not the same.

Imagine, instead, that you are on a LAN with static IP addresses and
haven't had one assigned to your box.  You call the sysadmin, and she
says "don't worry, just make one up -- if TCP/IP suddenly stops
working, you can increment the address and try again until
everything's OK."

 > If you want a name space just register it to IANA (in case you want
 > to make it official). And you don't need to put a "x-". If you
 > choose hname for your "NID" and if its not already registered than
 > that's it you have this NID for all your URNs.

It certainly sounds easy enough -- as I mentioned, once there are
well-defined NIDs available, they will be useful for XML namespaces.

Where is the list of NIDs registered with IANA so far?

Thanks, and all the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/